Sunday, April 13, 2008

Let Go and Let God

I saw this on a bumper sticker as I was leaving the parking lot yesterday. I like that saying and it stuck with me while we watched Finding Nemo. All through the movie the dad is having to "let go" of Nemo and let him learn on his own. Then I was reading My Utmost For His Highest and there it was again. " Even the weakest saint can experience the power of the deity of the Son of God, when he is willing to let go. But any effort to hang on to the least bit of our own power will only diminish the life of Jesus in us." Letting go is not always easy, but I have found God's way is so much better than our way. I love holding on to my children, physically and in my heart. With Luke I can only hold a small hand but hold him very close to my heart. Over and over I tell God I am turning him over to you (God) because he is yours and I know your power is the only power that can help him. Saying good-bye to him each day is very hard, but putting him in God's hands is easy because I know HE is the only way. I have found this so true in every situation in my life. If I let go and let God it will always be best for me.

We are seeing answered prayers. In spite of the fact that his CRP (which is a marker for infection) had jumped up, his other lab numbers are getting better or staying good. Today the CRP is down some. His albumin is finally up so maybe we will see some progress with the swelling. He really had a good day even though he seems to have an infection somewhere. So far the blood cultures haven't grown anything. They take 5 days to be final so we will watch that for a few more days. I called this morning and he is battling his co2 but we have a good respiratory therapist today who knows Luke and will work to get that down. I didn't take a picture yesterday. I forgot - could be I was a little busy keeping Sydney quiet and still for 3-4 hours! She really did well and was so sweet singing to Luke and telling him stories. She came home and played NICU with Hogan. He was the RT and she was the nurse. They were busy taking blood gases! A whole new world of knowledge for them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last week at karate Joe shared Luke's story with me and gave me your blogaddress. (Our son, Tollam is in Sydney's class.) Our family has been following your entries every day since and remembering Luke and your family in our prayers. Having experienced a child in the NICU, it is an incredibly heart wrenching time. Your faith is SO VERY STRONG! Somehow no matter how God has healed my heart, listening to your story makes my heart ache for you.
I agree that children's prayers are ever so precious and Luke is included in our nightly prayers as well.
Peace, Melissa Stephens

Honeycutts said...

I hope Luke feels better soon. I am praying for all of you.

Love,
Hunter

Susan it was so good to talk to you this weekend. I sent several hugs to you with Aunt Jane. Hunter typed his message himself.
I love you,
Christie

kirsten said...

As much as we see Luke as the miracle...I'm thinking the real miracle is that you kept Sydney quite for 4 hours! (and for those of you reading this blog and not sure of who I am...it's ok, I'm family...sort of)

Caleb and Sarah were very happy to know Hogan and Sydney got to see their brother. We are continuing to ask God for more pee and less puff! (their words...)

We love you all.