Sunday, March 16, 2008

God Provides

(This is our family right after Luke was born)

I think it is amazing how God provides for us in the midst of the storm. Last Thursday when the doctor gave Eric such a dim outlook on Luke, Eric immediately called our friend Jamey who works near the hospital. He said he would be right there, and had one of his police officers who was closer come in to the NICU first. Eric went out and met this guy who was really a stranger and told him what he had just been told about Luke. This officer just said "can I pray with you?" and prayed with Eric in a time of much upset. Jamey could have sent anyone, but God made sure it was a Christian brother who would bring comfort. Today I had just been intensly praying over Luke for God's healing. I had been praying, "God, you created him and only you know what he needs and how to fix him." A few hours later the nurse said a pastor was here so I watched for someone from New Hope. In came a total stranger who is a pastor near the hospital and whose daughter is in my in-law's church. She said she felt she needed to come pray for Luke today. She began to pray almost the exact words I had been praying all day. It brought such comfort to be in one accord, praying over Luke.


We had another day of no answers and many trials with settings. Most didn't work. Luke is back on the high frequency ventilator, but doing a little better with his blood gases tonight. He was seen by a pulmonologist today who said he really had no more ideas than the neonatologists had. We just continue to get the word that Luke doesn't fit anything they have really seen before. All this leads us back to - the only physician for Luke is the Great Physician - God who created him.

We ask God for healing and rest in His Word. I chose this verse today because Eric and I end this day a little weary from the ups and downs and the unknowns. We know God will bless us with strength for tomorrow and that is enough.


Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

7 comments:

kirsten said...

I remember this verse being used in teaching, how the running has to slow to walking...like landing. i know you guys are running at an unbelievable pace - take care of yourselves. I can't wrap my brain around how you are able to keep this up...but I know God is giving you strength just like He is strengthening Luke. We still wish we were there.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Bronie's... just wanted to let you know that we lifted you guys and little Luke up today! While I have no idea what you're going through, my daughter was in the ICU twice during her first 6 weeks and it was pretty crazy and scary and I do know it is no fun. I thought it was the hardest thing not to be able to just pick her up and hold and comfort her. We'll continue to lift you guys up.

Jana Waits said...

Susan & Eric,
Thanks for posting the family's picture - I can imagine Luke right in the middle of the mix. I join you in seeking the healing that can only come from our great physician. Do not stop crying out to God for his healing, protection and glory to surround Luke. I'm reading Psalm 5 - "Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my reqeusts before you and wait in expectation."
I pray for God's strength for you all!. Love you, Jana

Tammy Thomason said...

We continue to lift you ALL up each day. Seth and Abby end their prayers each night praying for Luke. The Bible verse on our Power of a Praying Parent calendar for today is:
"We have KNOWN and BELIEVED the love that God has for US. God IS love, and he who ABIDES in love ABIDES in God, and God in him."
I John 4:16
God loves you and we know you love Him. He will lift you up and carry you when you cannot walk. Much love and many prayers!
Karl, Tammy, Seth and Abby

The growing Adkinson family said...

Susan and family, this is Joyce Moll in Nashville and I just wanted to let you know you are all in our prayers each and every day! Luke is so precious and I know he is in God's HAND'S

ahornbuckle said...

My hubby and I are pastors of Whitewater Church. A new church in South Fayetteville. Our church is praying for Luke. We are also praying for strength for you during this time of great trial.

"Now to him who is able to do IMMEASURABLY MORE than we can ask or imagine." Ephesians 3:20

ahornbuckle said...

Sorry - didn't add I'm a teacher at Burch.