Thursday, July 24, 2008

Luke's Garden







I don't know why it has taken me so long to put these pictures on. After Luke died a lot of people got us plants to make a garden for Luke. I took these pictures soon after we got it all in. The Texas girls bought a couple rose bushes, (one yellow rose of Texas bush!) a peony and a hydrangea. Kirsten's mom got some beautiful daylillies. The Larsen and Goerz families got a tea olive bush, gardenia (my favorite) and some forget-me-nots. Our parents stargazer lillies that were at the funeral are planted in the garden and an azalea and a hydrangea from Delta. It has been so fun watering and caring for this little garden. The roses have been beautiful and Kirsten took an award-winning picture one weekend - water droplets and all, but I can't seem to get it to load on the blog. Maybe she will put it on! Anyway, thank you to all who provided the plants they are beautiful and bringing enjoyment to us. This week the kids and I made a stone for the garden. It is now sticking among the plants and looks great. This picture is the stone in the drying process.



We are all still doing well. We have almost made it through our summer - it has gone really quickly! We are going to get one more day in at Six Flags tomorrow. Last time we were there my brother and I were riding the scariest ride I have ever been on - Acrophobia. You are in a chair with just a harness across your chest. The ride takes you 200 feet in the air and drops you at 62 mph. As we were getting ready to go up Rob checked his harness and said "this is the definition of trust". This was the only ride I have ever been on that took the scream out of my mouth! As I walked away on shakey legs I thought more about the trust we had in this seat and harness that held us on the ride. Sometimes we are faced with situations in life where we have to trust God to be our safety harnesses. I am thankful to have lived through a few but have never had the shakey feeling I did getting off that ride. Putting my trust in God is so much more secure and goes beyond all earthly measures of feeling. I am thankful to have a Father who holds us securely in His arms in times of trouble and in whom we can place our trust.

6 comments:

Bronie said...

What a beautiful garden! It is such a sweet reminder of Luke. The flowers are really pretty, and the stone is awesome!

Susan, I have come across two blogs this week (not sure how, a link to a link I guess), and I have thought of emailing the links to you. I will scroll down; I think I remember that you posted your email address.

You guys remain in our thoughts and prayers on a daily basis. It's been fun to see Hogan and Syd's pics with their cousins! :)

kirsten said...

i love it...just perfect. i'm so glad you were able to work on it together, i'm sure it'll be a time the kids really remember down the road...past the tears - a time of healing.

and yes, i'll post the rose picture...gladly!

The growing Adkinson family said...

so sweet. such a great thing to have. I love the flowers and the variety of them. Cant wait to see the pic that kirsten will post.

girlmomx3 said...

The Yellow Rose of Texas looks great! I love the idea of the garden for you all--what a peaceful place.

Blessings,
Jane from TX

Misty said...

That's really a special and great idea. That way you guys have a special place to go and remember and be at peace. It's beautiful. I'm still praying for your family. I think of you guys often.

Kristy said...

What a beautiful garden! And such a perfect place and idea for all of the plants you guys received. I can only imagine tending to all Luke's plants. How sweet. Do you have a bench nearby? It seems a perfect place to have a morning quiet time, or just sit and spend some time with God - overlooking Luke's garden.