Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dependence

"Are we living at such a level of human dependence on Jesus Christ that His life is being exhibited moment by moment in us?"

That question really stuck with me tonight as I read "Utmost for His Highest". I was talking this week with my friend about depending on God and how easy it is in situations of great need. How comforting it is to know God is there, supporting us and caring for us. That he just draws us so close in difficult times that we hunger for him. I think the farther we get away from these times the easier it is to depend less on God. I am trying to continue to depend on God with all my life (though it does get difficult when playing referee with my kids. I know I don't always glorify God in these times, but I guess that is the human side of me!) and hunger for him as much as I did when walking through Luke's life. We just don't know who is watching us and who might see Jesus in us in our every day activities. I know God uses us through our times of crisis. Even when we are hurting we can be a witness to others. My friend is already hearing of how others see her faith as she depends on God while she takes care of her husband with cancer. It felt so good to us to hear the stories of people who were touched through Luke's life. Those times are easy for me - I want to hunger and depend on God in the every day, moment to moment stuff. That's my goal this year.

We celebrated Hogan's 11th birthday this week with a sleepover/swimming/campout party. There were six boys who went from riding ATVs to driving the golfcart to swimming then back to ATVs...all night long! Finally when it was time to campout in the tent they lasted about 45 minutes and came in because they were too hot! At least they had fun! Next week we will celebrate Sydney's 7th birthday. Her party will have to wait a week because all the kids (Caleb, Sarah, Ben, Hogan and Sydney) will be in a wedding in KC on her birthday! I'm sure Kirsten will get some great pictures. Who needs to carry a camera when you have a sister-in-law with camera and video ready to shoot!

4 comments:

Kristy said...

I was just thinking of the same thing last night - how when life is easy, and going well, my dependence on God is not so strong. I don't NEED Him like I do in times of crisis. Of course, I need Him ALL the time, but when we are in a crisis, or pain, we cry out to Him constantly. We are in desperate need of Him during those times. I had to apologize to Him, and recognize this in me. I want Him all the time, in every situation, not just the hard times.

kirsten said...

dependence on God....depending on your sister-in-law for pictures...

not sure I can handle being mentioned in the same blog. and, by the way, I do have pictures...plenty. I'll send them your way.

Gloria Aultman said...

I have just signed on to your blog as I have not checked it lately. First of all I wanted to mention that I did read about the garden earlier and thought it was so pretty and you all are really going to enjoy it.

About this blog. It really hit home as I am always thinking how I need to get closer to Jesus every day and this week at my church we have a special speaker who is teaching us how to witness just by telling people our story of what God has done in our life. Susan you witnessed to all of us during Luke's illness and it really touched me in so many ways and I learned from it also. It is real hard for us to try and be pleasing to God all the time and I am sure God laughs at me when I mess up and I am sure I disapoint him in many ways. But just knowing that I am trying harder each day to draw closer to him makes it easier to live the life he would want me to live. Susan your family is a good example to all and I am so glad that your ministry through Luke touched so many especially me. God bless you. Love gloria

Susan Slinkard said...

Family of Luke,

I haven't posted a comment on your blog before, but please know that I continue to keep you and in my thoughts and prayers. I had my first baby in December and can't imagine life without her. Your blog posts have been inspiring and remind us from where our real strength and help comes - our Heavenly Father. I would like to share a blog with you about a couple who were recently injured (severly) in a private plane crash. They have four children, who've had to go live with family in another state. Their prognosis is still critical, with months of recovery ahead. As you and your family (and your church family) are such strong prayer warriors, I ask that you please pray for this christian family that God will intervene in a mighty way.

God Bless You,
Susan Slinkard (from Arkansas)

blog.cjanerun.com