Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Life

God is so good to give us glimpses of his plan. This week I re-connected with one our nurses at Piedmont up in the city. (Luke was born at Piedmont - Fayette and then transferred to Piedmont in the city then moved to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta). I often wondered why so many hospitals. I think now one of the reasons was so we could meet Teri. She emailed me this week to say how sad she was over Luke's death and to share her own story with me. Her 17 year-old son died just a few days after Luke. He was involved in a car accident on Mother's Day. She had her son so much longer and he was taken so suddenly. I am so sad for her. Who knew when we met in February that we would both lose our sons a few months later. I am thankful God allowed us to bond over Luke. It will be good to share grief with her and also good to talk about Luke. She was one person who really knew him when he was awake and interacting. She always told me "there is just something special about him when I look into his eyes". I shared with her how my brother's pastor used bubbles in his Easter sermon to talk about our lives. Some last just for a second and some much longer. Each one is precious no matter how long they are here and each one special and unique. I will always think about that when I see bubbles and think about Luke's short little life that was so big in its impact. Tonight my nephew Ben was blowing bubbles and watching them rise high in the air. He said they were flying up to heaven! Heaven is so real to all of and seems so close now that Luke is there.

5 comments:

sweatmanseven said...

What a beautiful story and illustration about life. It is neat to see how God brings different people into our lives for reasons we may later see. I know that for the rest of your life you will be ministering to people who are grieving. God gives us comfort so that we may be able to comfort others..(2 Cor 1:3-4) Our friend Lynne is a perfect example of this. Thanks for continuing to blog. We are still reading, still praying, and still remembering Luke. Sarah Beth and I watched the blessing video again, just last night. We continue to pray for you all.
Melinda

Gloria Aultman said...

I get comfort just by reading the special things you write. I am so sorry for the nurse's son. It is never easy no matter the age. Elwyn still tears up like it was yesterday and it has been 26 years since his son's death at age 18. I cannot imagine what you all go through. God will always be there to comfort you and that is what gets you through the hardest of times. God bless you. love gloria

Honeycutts said...

I wish so much that I could help you as much as you and Luke have helped me. I too get so much comfort from reading all the wonderful things that you write it makes me feel so close. The boys have watched the video several times just trying to capture more special seconds of baby Luke. I love you all,
Christie

girlmomx3 said...

I love the bubbles! Our God is so like that! Thank you for bringing His life lessons for me more to life. Luke was special is will remain in our hearts!

Blessings to you,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Susan,

I just found your blog on Dee's favorites list. I read and loved the story about the little bubbles and the similarity to life. How true that is. Some bubbles last longer than others, but they are all very brief in God's plan.

I miss you guys, it was nice seeing you when you came up to KC. Give us a call next time you are in town.

I enjoy your blogs, you have a talent with words.

Your Friends,
The Denney Clan