Monday, March 9, 2009

A fresh beginning.


This time of year brings such promise, excitement and energy as spring bursts forth. I love this time of year - it just gives me joy in the new beginnings of life in the flowering trees, the new grass beginning to turn green and the warm sunshine. I am realizing I missed much of this last year as my days were spent inside the NICU. I drove past the flowers, trees and grass with my mind intent on getting to Luke and home to Hogan and Sydney. As I took Hogan to Science Olympiad this weekend I realized that last year I dropped him off and hurried up to be with Luke. This was the time Luke was here on this earth, amidst the promise of new beginnings. It brings tears as well as joy to think he is in heaven where the excitement and energy of spring is probably always there.

Just before Luke was born, Sydney prayed to accept Jesus as her Savior and Lord. We waited for her to be baptized until last week. John Conrad baptized her and he also did Luke's funeral service. He shared with Sydney that last Sunday (March 1st) was St. David's day which is celebrated in Wales (our pastor is from there). It is celebrated with the wearing of a dafodil. We will always remember Sydney's "new birth" in Christ with the newness of spring in the dafodil.

It is easy to get caught up in the joy and sunshine until you turn on the news or talk to a friend. Then I am reminded of all the "stuff" of this world...finances, cancer, death, divorce, job-loss, storms...but in the midst of the dark things there is one rock we can cling to who can bring us a fresh new beginning no matter how dark our lives get.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 8:13

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7

3 comments:

Kristy said...

How precious - spring and your daughter's baptism! I remember so well this time last year, praying and keeping up to date with Luke via your blog. We went to Disney World for the first time in my life on March 24th, and was gone a week. I remember when I got home, turning on my computer and just praying so hard that everything was okay with Luke. Glad you and your family are doing well - thinking of you all, especially during this time of the year - when Luke was here.

D and T said...

How special to see the picture of precious Syndney getting baptized. God bless her!

Gloria Aultman said...

I am so happy for the whole family and it seems like the timing of Sydney's baptism was just perfect. I am so proud of her. You both have three beautiful children, it is just one happens to be in heaven. God bless you all.