Saturday, June 14, 2008

Blessed Assurance

"Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine, Oh what a foretaste of Glory divine." I have been blessed with assurance this week from God and a glimpse of Glory. As always I tend to "think" about life and Luke more on Sundays and last Sunday I was really struggling with Luke's life and death. I didn't feel well Sunday night and went to bed early (way before midnight! - early for me) but ended up being up off and on all night. I did a lot of praying that God would take this struggle from me with all the "what-ifs" going through my mind. Sometime in the night I had a very vivid image of my dad, who died nine years ago, holding Luke - a healthy Luke. He was standing with both of my grandmothers and Eric's grandfather, all whom have died in the last year. It was a very comforting image. I also relived each of the dreams I had while Luke was alive. In each of the dreams Luke was laughing and pulling his breathing tube out and getting away from me like it was a game. I woke up Monday feeling quite a weight lifted from me. I felt the complete assurance that Luke was okay and where he was supposed to be from the beginning. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Luke came for a purpose and God has shown me Luke has received his reward in heaven. I have been filled with a peace this week that only God can give.

Peace was good to have this week since it was Vacation Bible School week. It was such a fun week of teaching, crafting, laughing and of course eating! It is always tiring and hectic at times even a little scary since after seven years of teaching together my friend Amy and I realized we were very organized this year - something new for each of us! It is always so neat to hear the kids singing about God and being excited about what they are learning. I heard at least 26 children accepted Jesus as their Savior. That makes it all the more exciting!

Thank you all who continue to pray for our family. I am already praying for where God will use us next. We are all healing and doing well. We continue to be blessed by the stories we hear of how Luke's story has touched lives. Thank you for sharing. I continue to write thank you notes and know I have missed some of you. I appreciate everything you have done to help.

If you get a chance to read Psalm 145, that is what I was drawn to this week.

7 comments:

jj1991 said...

Hey Susan,
I continue to pray for you and think of you daily. I e-mailed you last Sunday and have not heard back. I hope you received it; if not please, let me know.
We lost another baby this week, this one had actually been home for a few months so his death took us all by surprise. I have been praying that his family has the support and strength that you have.
Luke remains in my thoughts. Please let Eric know I will be thanking of him on Father's Day.
Jennifer

Misty said...

What a Blessing! I'm so glad to hear that God's holding you guys tight and giving you glimpses of his love! Awesome! What a comfort for to know Luke is witho your dad and well. Man that's good!

Milder Moments said...

Susan...the story of your dream gave me chills! Shortly after the birth of our first baby my mom had a dream where she was standing at the edge of a pond that was behind her house growing up, holding my son Thomas. Across the pond was her mother, father and brother who had all passed away. She held Thomas up for them to see and they smiled and nodded to her. I do believe that God gives us dreams such as those for reassurance. To comfort us that He and our loved ones are there...just across that pond watching and waiting for us to join them someday. I love that Luke is happy and healthy with your dad. God is good!

Blessings,
Leslie

Mummy said...

I love those little glimpses through the veil. They give us hope and comfort when we need it most.

kirsten said...

I'm amazed you are able to continue with all you have done...with the kids and for the kids. I know this struggle is a great life lesson for them to see your faith in action. That when life is hard and knocks you to your knees, you pray and get up...knowing God has a plan.

Thank you for living that for your kids and for us.

Kristy said...

Oh Susan, what a wonderful dream God gave you! It gives me chills. And how special to know that you prayed for peace and He showed you something so amazing!
In 1994, after trying to get pregnant for a year, we conceived and it ended in an ectopic pregnancy. In the months afterward, I was in such a depression. I did not know the Lord then. One night I had a dream about my much loved Paw-Paw (who died the day before I lost the baby). He was younger looking (like he was when I was a kid). And he was telling me about my baby - about what a precious angel it was. I woke up in tears - but so grateful that I had that dream. It was the beginning of my healing process.
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

D and T said...

Dear Precious Susan,
I continue to pray for you and your family during this time. It's wonderful how Jesus let you feel peace. Even the strongest Christian's grieve. It still hurts, but He is always there to pick us up and carry us if need be. I am so glad that I got to meet you, your family, and Baby Luke. I love to hear about your faith, strength, and love for the Lord. Prayer: "Lord thank you for your love. Thank you for Susan and her family, that even in the storm, they know you are God. Pour down your love and strength. Thank you Lord for directing all of our paths. Heal their hurt Lord Jesus, because it hurts so much. We love you Lord and trust in You. Amen."